Saturday, July 24

Let's talk about English today !

English as in The United Kingdom . I was very confused at first and now my mysteries finally solved. United Kingdom is divided into Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland ! As shown :


Clear Enough ? They're all united to become 'United Kingdom' . Hope I am right. It it actually cool that countries can be united ! I always thought the whole thing is call England. ( Or it is ? )

The telephone Booth. This telephone kiosk is never too old for anyone. 
It is convenient and a trademark for England. 

Cool ~

Not forgetting about their buses too !
I got this tiny double deckle bus key ring during a British Fair. The saddest thing is that, I looked to the bottom, it writes : Made in China.

Red telephone Kiosk and Red Double Deckle bus.


The main point is that, UK accent is a harsh one, but I love'em ! In Brunei, we're studying U.K English but non of us have the accent. We're more to U.S accent due to the influences of Movies, Songs and whatever usage of U.S English. I've always read something and try to imitate how English people do, but that is hilarious when I try every time.

An Idol of mine, who owns a sexy voice, Shane Filan from Westlife. ( Filan and his band is from Ireland, UK, I was wondering is it Ireland or Northern Ireland ) I love his voice but honestly I couldn't understand what he say.


This is Steven Gerrard with his words . ( ENGLAND darling football player, no, not soccer alright ! )
Again, I don't understand a single word, oh bummer !

Tips to imitate Irish Accent : Harden your consonants

The American trait of slurring consonants is most obvious with compound expressions: coulda, woulda, shoulda, wanna, gonna.
Instead of those, try these : Could have, would have, should have, want to, going to .


I think I m confusing myself and getting myself into accent problems ! I love both US and UK accent but I've set my keyboard as US keyboard. So I'll be using Organise as Organize, Realise as Realize , Colour as Color. Or else I'll be facing these annoying problems : ( The red zigzag underline under every UK spelling )







So, I think I gonna stop confusing myself now.



1 comment:

  1. I think the British accent is HOT lol and I am quiet sure that the English studies as a foreign language all over the world is following the British curriculum (textbooks and tapes).

    I live in the U.S now, and not only the accent differs, but even the sentences' structure and some words have different meanings.

    To understand the British accent I've read some British books that had been produced as movies or TV shows.. try out to read Harry Potter if you haven't already, each time you finish a book, immediately watch the matching movie.. I bet it'll help.

    ReplyDelete